Tag: Photo Police
A woman has posed as a photographer as part of a plot to drug a woman and steal her newborn baby to raise as her own, US police allege.
- The suspect allegedly posed as a photographer offering to take photos of babies for free
- Police allege she visited a woman’s house three times and on the third time drugged her with a cupcake
- Police allege the suspect planned to steal the woman’s newborn baby
In a Facebook post, the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department in Tacoma, Washington, said a 38-year-old woman and her 16-year-old daughter were arrested on February 14 following an extensive investigation.
Police said they received a 911 call on February 5 from a woman who believed she was drugged by another woman who had come to her house after they met via a newborn baby group on Facebook.
“The suspect had advertised free photos of newborn babies so the suspect could build her portfolio,” police said.
“The suspect reportedly came to the victim’s residence on three occasions to photograph her newborn baby.
“The suspect was observed taking cell-phone selfies with the victim’s baby and was seen wiping her fingerprints off items she touched inside the victim’s home.”
Suspect used cupcake to drug mother, police say
During the third visit, police say, the woman — who posed online as Juliette Parker, Juliette Noel and Juliette Gains — and her teenage daughter gave the mother a cupcake to eat.
“The victim reported feeling numb and drowsy immediately after eating the cupcake,” police said.
“The victim told the suspect and her daughter to leave her home.
“After they left, the victim noticed that the suspect had stolen her house keys.”
After conducting an extensive investigation, including identifying additional alleged victims, the police said evidence indicated the suspect was planning to steal a newborn baby to raise as her own.
After police executed a search warrant, the woman was arrested on multiple felony charges, as was her 16-year-old daughter.
Police encouraged anybody who had been contacted by the woman online and who believed they may have been a victim to contact them.
Sheriff deputies had donated money to buy new locks and window guards for the alleged victim and volunteered to install them at her home, the department said.
Cudgera Creek 2484
Police say they are baffled by the death of a Brisbane school teacher they believe was kidnapped before he was fatally hit by a truck on the Pacific Highway in northern New South Wales.
- Police are trying to piece together the final movements of a Brisbane man who was fatally hit by a truck in NSW this week
- Police have charged two people with kidnapping Anthony Stott, a teacher, who they say had recently returned from overseas
- The circumstances surrounding Mr Stott’s death have been described by police as “baffling”
Emergency service crews were called to Cudgera Creek, south of Tweed Heads, just after 7am on Monday, and have since identified the deceased as 43-year-old Anthony Stott.
Detectives later arrested a 38-year-old woman and a 46-year-old man, who have been charged with detaining a person with intent to obtain advantage.
Police are now appealing for further information on the case, which Tweed/Byron District Commander, Acting Superintendent Brendon Cullen described as “extremely unusual”.
“It’s … quite baffling really to understand how the man from Brisbane would end up down here in these circumstances and now we find that he’s passed away,” he said.
“We are very keen to find some answers and give some answers to the family involved.
Acting Superintendent Brendon Cullen said any information is important at this early stage of the investigation.
“Anthony had only just returned to the country from a trip in Peru, landing in Sydney earlier last week, then at Brisbane Domestic Airport on Sunday afternoon.
“We have recovered his vehicle, which was located abandoned near the scene on the M1 about 2am on Monday morning.
“We’re also wanting to speak with anyone who may have seen his vehicle on Sunday afternoon — a silver BMW with NSW registration ANL 72Y.”
Police allege victim was ‘tied to a chair’
Acting Supt Cullen said the truck driver was extremely shaken by the incident.
“It took the truck driver by surprise and it is particularly traumatic for the driver,” he said.
“The full circumstances are a little bit unclear as to how he came to be on the motorway and again if there are witnesses that may have seen anything we ask them to come forward.
“We still hold that crime scene and we are still processing that crime scene.
“Until that is completed, the matter is before the court.
“We believe he was tied to a chair within that house.”
The pair charged have been refused bail and are scheduled to appear in court next week.
An arson attack and a shooting at a popular Brisbane restaurant may involve people linked to the Bandidos motorcycle club, the ABC understands.
- The ABC understands the police investigation is examining whether people are involved who have links to the Bandidos
- A number of people involved in confrontations with Mr Percival’s staff late last year are “known to the police”
- Vision is released of a man police would like to speak with over the arson incident
Multiple shots were fired into the bar and restaurant Mr Percival’s at Brisbane’s Howard Smith Wharves early on Monday morning but workers inside the business at the time were unharmed.
CCTV footage has been released of a person of interest in the arson attempt early on December 21.
The ABC understands the police investigation is examining whether people with links to the Bandidos outlaw motorcycle club are involved.
Detective Superintendent Tony Fleming said a number of people involved in confrontations with staff late last year were “known to the police”.
He said a small rubber boat found in the Norman Park reach of the Brisbane River yesterday afternoon was believed to have been involved in the shooting.
“While it remains for the investigation to confirm whether or not this is actually the vessel involved in the shooting, we’re treating it as such at the moment and it has been the subject of forensic examination,” he said.
“We know the boat was stolen just before Christmas from Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast.”
Detective Superintendent Fleming said the case was of “significant concern” to police.
“While at the moment only property has been damaged, the risk to community safety is significant,” he said.
“I think it’s hard to overstate people discharging firearms into buildings, in public spaces, self-evidently carries significant risk.”
Detective Superintendent Fleming said he urged anyone with information to contact police.
“We know in crimes like this that people talk,” he said.
“It’s quite feasible that someone knows who was responsible for this offence and we would encourage them to contact Crime Stoppers anonymously.
“Officers have conducted doorknocks there today and we certainly have spoken to people, but if you live in that area and you may have some information or CCTV, we’re very keen to hear from you.”
A male pedestrian from died and a woman was hospitalised after they were hit by a Tasmania Police car which had flipped and was spinning after a crash with another car in the state’s north.
- Police described the death of the male pedestrian and injuries to others, including the male officer driving a marked police car at the time, as “tragic”.
- They said the police officer was “responding to a call for assistance … under lights and sirens” when the crash happened about 8:30pm in Launceston
- A female passenger in the second vehicle was taken to hospital as a precaution, police said
In a statement, police said the officer driving at the time was “responding to a call for assistance in Summerhill under lights and sirens when the crash occurred” at about 8:30pm on Monday in Launceston.
The pedestrians were both from NSW.
“The police vehicle, driven by a male police officer, was travelling east along Paterson St when he entered the intersection on a red light with emergency lights activated,” Acting Deputy Commissioner Jonathan Higgins said in a statement.
“The rear left side of the police vehicle collided with the silver Lancer, which was travelling south on St Johns St. The police vehicle flipped and spun around several times, colliding with the two pedestrians, who were walking across the road.”
A female pedestrian was taken to the Launceston General Hospital (LGH) and was on Tuesday in a serious condition, but has since been transferred to Melbourne where she was in a critical but stable condition.
“This is a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family of the deceased man and the woman currently in hospital,” Acting Deputy Commissioner Higgins said.
“A male police officer and a female passenger of the silver Lancer remain in the LGH with non-life threatening injuries.”
Police are yet to officially release the identities of those involved in what Acting Deputy Commissioner Higgins described as a “traumatic” incident.
Acting Deputy Commissioner Higgins paid tribute to the “admirable efforts of those members of the public who came to the aid of the people involved and provided assistance until emergency services arrived on the scene a short time later”.
He said a “full professional standards investigation will be conducted into the incident to determine the circumstances surrounding the crash”.
Several roads in the area were blocked off on Monday night while investigators worked at the scene.
Information can be provided to Tasmania Police on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers anonymously on 1800 333 000 or online at crimestopperstas.com.au.
Shots have been fired at a bar on the Brisbane River that was firebombed on December 21.
- Shots were fired at the riverside bar from a boat
- Nobody was injured in the latest incident
- On December 21, an unknown assailant set the bar on fire
The shots came from a boat on the river about 2:00am on Monday and were aimed at Mr Percival’s bar at Howard Smith Wharves, under the Story Bridge, Queensland police said.
Police confirmed the shots were fired from a boat carrying three to four people.
There were people inside the bar when the shots were fired, police said.
Acting Detective Inspector Steve Hatton said members of the public were not deliberate targets.
“We are working with management in the area, particularly licensed premises, to ensure the safety of the public,” he said.
“At this point in time, it would not appear that members of the public are targets for these incidents.”
Howard Smith Wharves CEO Luke Fraser released a statement saying “an incident occurred at Mr Percival’s when it was closed and shots were fired around 2:00am from the river”.
“Safety is our top priority and thankfully no-one was injured as it occurred outside opening hours with no guests inside, however there was a small amount of damage to the venue,” Mr Fraser said.
“We are assisting police with their investigation and working with them to implement increased security measures.”
Police made no comment on any possible connection between the two incidents.
In a bid to find witnesses, after the fire attack, police released CCTV footage of a man walking into the outside seating area of the bar, throwing containers into the inside bar area and then setting it on fire, before fleeing.
Multiple calls were made to emergency services at 4:30am on December 21, including from a passer-by who saw flames and smoke through the window of the bar.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Inspector Steven Holland said at the time furniture was damaged, but the building had remained “fully intact”.
“It could have been a whole lot worse had the crew not have done such a good job,” he said.
“The fire will be treated as suspicious.”
Nobody has been arrested over the fire, and there are no known suspects.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the shooting.
Former patron Mieken Augustin said she had been to the bar before but said the incident was enough to deter her from returning.
“100 per cent — especially with kids,” she said.
Nick Curry also said he was “shocked” by the incident.
“Just not the sort of thing you’d expect to have under the Story Bridge,” he said.
“Sounds like someone’s got a bit of an agenda against that bar doesn’t it?”
A 40-year-old man in Brisbane has blown off his hand while mixing chemicals to make homemade rockets.
- Police say the man was making homemade rockets at the house
- He is in a critical condition in hospital with a broken leg, a missing hand and other injuries
- His four-year-old son and a 74-year-old man were also home at the time, but are unharmed
Queensland police said the man’s four-year-old son and a 74-year-old man were also in the Chermside West house when the explosion blew out windows and sent a shock wave through the home.
They said all three people were lucky to be alive as the force of the explosion could have been deadly.
The man was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in a critical condition with a broken leg, a missing hand and other injuries.
He was rushed into the operating theatre for emergency surgery.
The toddler’s mother was at work when the chemicals blew up about 8:00am.
Police Inspector Geoff Acre said the child and the 74-year-old man were standing nearby when the man was mixing the chemicals.
“But they’ve gone upstairs to have breakfast and were in the kitchen when the explosion occurred,” Inspector Acre said.
“So luckily they weren’t in the vicinity when it actually went off — he’s very, very lucky to be alive.”
Inspector Acre said it was lucky there were not three fatalities.
“In all honesty, had it exploded a minute earlier, we would had three people deceased,” he said.
“The explosion has blown out all the windows [on the lower level of the house], so obviously there’s a lot of glass around the place there, which again is lucky the small child and the elderly guy weren’t downstairs at the time that thing exploded.”
Police said the man had been making rockets for a while, possibly to entertain his son.
“He’s had a few successful launches in the past,” Inspector Acreman said.
‘Force inside that house was massive’
Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman Brad Hardy said he was “very surprised” the man had survived the explosion.
He said the man had lost his right hand and had other injuries, but none appeared to be life-threatening.
“The injuries were significant to him — it is amazing he’s survived these injuries,” he said.
Mr Hardy said the “force inside that house was massive”.
“He was right in the middle of it … glass [was] everywhere, the doors were smashed, everything inside was destroyed,” Mr Hardy said.
An elderly neighbour, who only wanted to be referred to as Bron, said the explosion had woken him.
“There was a bang, like a bomb, so I just got up from bed and looked though the window and smoke was pouring [out],” he said.
Holly Barrett, whose balcony had a clear view across the road to the house where the explosion happened, said there were emergency service crews everywhere.
She said her housemate had seen the man come out of the house after the explosion.
“He was bloody all over the face, all over his arms, all around his chest,” Ms Barrett said.
Police and paramedics have urged people not to mix or play with chemicals, even those commonly found around the house.
Police said they were trying to determine what the chemicals were being used for and why they exploded.
Officers are investigating whether charges could be laid.