Tag: Darwin Local Court


NT Police arrest 21-year-old in connection with Rapid Creek sex assault


Darwin 0800

A 21-year-old man has been charged and will face Darwin Local Court on Friday after allegedly pulling a 35-year-old woman off her bike at knifepoint and sexually assaulting her.

Key points:

  • The 21-year-old had been charged with attempted sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated assault and going armed in public
  • Sex Crimes Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Kirsten Engels thanked the public for their assistance
  • The NT has the highest rate of sexual assault in the nation, according to the ABS

At 5:00am on Friday January 31, NT Police allege the 21-year-old man approached the victim as she rode her bicycle in the Rapid Creek area.

Rapid Creek is a 15-minute drive north of Darwin and has a population of about 3,000 people.

According to police, the man allegedly pulled the 35-year-old victim to the ground and threatened her with the knife before sexually assaulting her.

NT Police thank the public

Sex Crimes Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Kirsten Engels said the man was arrested this morning after a thorough search.



Photo:

Sex Crimes Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Kirsten Engels said the man was arrested on Thursday February 6. (ABC News: Felicity James)

“The victim has been spoken with and has expressed a very high level of relief and gratitude that this matter has been resolved,” she said.

“The Northern Territory Police would like to thank the public for their assistance in this matter and reiterate our commitment to ensuring our commitment to the safety of the community.”



Photo:

The alleged sexual assault took place in Rapid Creek on Friday January 31. (ABC News: Cameron Gooley)

Senior Sergeant Engels said the 21-year-old had been charged with attempted sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated assault and going armed in public.

She also thanked the public for their assistance finding the alleged offender.

“The fact that it was resolved so quickly is good news for everyone involved,” she said.

The man has been remanded and will appear in Darwin Local Court on Friday, February 7.

NT’s sexual assault rates

Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows the NT has the highest rate of sexual assaults in the nation.

In 2018, there were 145.6 reports of sexual assault to the NT Police per 100,000 people — higher than every other state and territory.

Australia-wide, there were 105.3 reports of sexual assault to police per 100,000 people in 2018.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news


Darwin man charged with lighting several ‘suspicious’ bushfires during the dry season


Darwin 0800

A 27-year-old man charged with 17 counts of lighting bushfires in the Northern Territory’s Top End was out on bail at the time of the alleged arson attacks, Darwin Local Court has heard.

Key points:

  • NT Police executed search warrants on two properties at Darwin River yesterday
  • Accused man Mike Holden faced Darwin Local Court this morning
  • Lawyers for Mr Holden said they will be applying for bail this afternoon

Bushfires raged through the Darwin rural area in August and September last year, when dry and windy weather conditions saw hundreds of hectares of orchards and bushland fall prey to flames.

Alleged arsonist Mike Holden appeared in the docks of Darwin Local Court this morning wearing a tattered black T-shirt and with an electronic monitoring bracelet strapped to his ankle.

He was arrested yesterday after search warrants were executed at two properties in Darwin River, after which he was charged and refused bail.

‘All suspicious bushfires will be investigated’

In a statement last night, NT Police said Mr Holden was arrested as part of an operation set up last September to investigate “suspicious bushfires occurring in the greater Darwin area during the year”.

“NT Police want to reassure the community that all suspicious bushfires will be investigated,” the statement said.

Prosecutor David Morters told the court Holden had been bailed over previous offences in January 2019.



Photo:

Large areas of bushland were affected by bushfires in Darwin during last year’s dry season, some of which NT Police said were “suspicious”. (ABC News: Matt Garrick)

Mr Morters said the accused has a matter listed for trial in the NT Supreme Court in March this year over 24 counts of indictment.

“They are sex offences and they are serious offences,” he said.

Mr Holden’s legal team applied for bail but it was refused in Darwin Local Court this afternoon.

Judge Alan Woodcock said he allegedly “committed numerous, serious offences while on very strict bail … [and] that’s of grave concern.”

“If [electronic monitoring] data is accurate, it’s a very powerful [prosecution] case,” said Mr Woodcock.

Bushfires lit over eight months

In a press conference this morning, NT Police said the 17 bushfires allegedly lit by Mr Holden were between January and September last year and were focused on the Darwin River area.

“Causing a bushfire … carries a maximum penalty of 15 years imprisonment — [it’s] a very serious offence,” Detective Acting Superintendent Mark Malogorski said.

There were no “dwellings destroyed” in the fires allegedly lit by Mr Holden, he said.

“There was substantial vegetation property damaged … there was minor property damaged, and that matter is still being investigated.”

Operation Paringa was set up to investigate the bushfires last year and, according to Acting Superintendent Malogorski, had been a “protracted and complex investigation”.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news