The Duke of Sussex has arrived in Canada to begin a new life with his wife Meghan and son Archie after sparking a crisis in the Royal family by unexpectedly announcing that they would be stepping back from their duties.
- Prince Harry’s arrival in Canada comes after it was revealed he and Meghan would no longer be working Royals this month
- Meghan returned to the country earlier in January to be with the couple’s son
- In their announcement, the pair said they would split their time between North America and the UK
Prince Harry was shown arriving on Vancouver Island by Sky News, accompanied by security guards as he entered a car that had been waiting for him on the tarmac.
Before leaving London, the Prince admitted he was taking a “leap of faith” in an attempt to build a more peaceful life, free from Royal constraints.
His arrival in Canada came days after striking a deal with Queen Elizabeth II and senior Royals that will see him and his wife Meghan exit official roles to seek an independent future.
Buckingham Palace and the Queen said on Saturday that Prince Harry and Meghan would no longer be working members of the monarchy.
They can also no longer use their “Royal Highness” titles and now have to pay their own way in life, freeing them to forge new careers in Canada and the US.
Prince Harry and Meghan have struck a deal with the Queen. Here’s how it works
Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public funds under a deal struck for them to step aside as senior Royals.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, spent six weeks in Canada at the end of last year before returning to the UK.
Their first official engagement of 2020 was to visit Canada House to thank consular staff for what they said had been an “unbelievable” welcome.
Meghan returned to Canada to be with her son Archie on January 10.
Prince Harry had remained in the UK to host the 2021 Rugby League World Cup draws at Buckingham Palace last week.
In a speech to the Sentebale charity on Sunday, a clearly upset Prince Harry said the final outcome of the Royal crisis talks pained him.
“I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share not as a prince, or a duke, but as Harry, the same person that many of you have watched grow up over the last 35 years, but with a clearer perspective,” he said.
“The UK is my home and a place that I love. That will never change. It brings me great sadness that it has come to this. The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly.
“It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges.
“And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.”