Montaigne named as Australia’s Eurovision entrant for 2021


Australia

She may have missed out on performing at the Eurovision Song Contest this year, but Montaigne will get her chance after being named as Australia’s entrant for the 2021 edition.

Key points:

  • Australia has competed at the Eurovision Song Contest since 2015
  • The contest was cancelled for 2020 because of concerns about coronavirus
  • Montaigne will work on a new song for 2021

In February, the singer-songwriter won Australia Decides, outscoring Casey Donovan, Vanessa Amorosi and seven other acts to clinch a spot at Eurovision.

However, last month growing concerns about the spread of the coronavirus led the European Broadcasting Union and this year’s scheduled hosts, the Netherlands, to announce the cancellation of 2020’s event.

The art-pop performer had delivered the winning song, Don’t Break Me, with a dramatic staging at the live Gold Coast final.

Coronavirus update: Follow the latest news in our daily wrap

External Link:

SBS Eurovision tweet: It's confirmed, @actualmontaigne will represent Australia in the Eurovision song contest 2021 #Eurovision #Eurovision2021

While appearing at this year’s Australia Decides, Dami Im — who produced Australia’s best performance at Eurovision when she came second with Sounds of Silence in 2016 — drew a big reaction when she announced that she was going to throw her hat in the ring for 2021.

But SBS has now followed the lead of a number of countries involved in the contest by confirming Montaigne’s place as Australia’s representative next year.

“I’m so happy to receive this good news during such times,” Montaigne said in a statement.

“At home, we’ve started this ritual of cracking open a fortune cookie daily and reading our fortunes to each other and I got one that read, ‘You will be sharing great news with all the people you love’. I’m so glad it came true!”



Photo:

Montaigne takes over from Kate Miller-Heidke as Australia’s Eurovision entrant. (AAP: Regi Varghese)

Coronavirus questions answered
Breaking down the latest news and research to understand how the world is living through an epidemic, this is the ABC’s Coronacast podcast.

Montaigne, whose musical talents were discovered in triple j’s Unearthed project in 2012, is an ARIA-winning artist who has collaborated with the likes of the Hilltop Hoods.

With the contest to decide Australia’s entrant for next year now not needed, SBS said the focus would turn to developing new music.

“Although SBS and fans alike will miss Eurovision — Australia Decides 2021, this will honour Australia’s decision and give Montaigne the chance to show the world what we already know — that she is an incredibly talented, exciting and original artist,” SBS commissioning editor and Australia’s Eurovision head of delegation Josh Martin said.

“Our focus will now shift to a new song for 2021 and Montaigne is not wasting a moment of this period of isolation with many new ideas already on the table!”

External Link:

Montaigne – Don't Break Me

Eurovision rules do not allow the 2020 songs to be chosen for next year.

Stay up-to-date on the coronavirus outbreak


Video: The Virus: Jeremy Fernandez updates you on the latest developments on COVID-19 as of April 3

(ABC News)

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news