A Queensland man whose uninsured family home was destroyed by bushfire late last year has won $1 million in a lottery that will allow him to rebuild.
The winner — who wished to remain anonymous — is from Mount Cotton in Redland, south of Brisbane, but owned a family property in a part of northern New South Wales hit by the fires.
Lauren Cooney from The Lott notified him of the win on Thursday morning and said he was incredibly emotional.
“He told me his family had just lost their home in the bushfires,” she said.
“The home wasn’t insured, so this prize meant that they would be able to rebuild which initially, they thought they wouldn’t be able to,” she said.
The man detailed how his family had returned to the property several weeks ago, which was said to be “very sentimental and special to them”.
“They were going through the site looking for any special family mementoes that they could salvage, but all they could find was some teacups.”
The man held the only division one winning entry to Wednesday night’s draw, claiming all of the $1 million prize.
He told Ms Cooney the circumstances surrounding the win were “just perfect”.
“He said he couldn’t have imagined more impeccable timing which meant that he could use his prize to rebuild their family home,” Ms Cooney said.