Japan's defence minister Nobuo Kishi has agreed to launch a military hotline with China in 2022.
The move was announced by Japan's government spokesperson on Tuesday, citing recent talks between Mr Kishi and his Chinese counterpart, Wei Fenghe.
Mr Kishi held a video call with Mr Wei on Monday where the Japanese defence chief stressed the importance of stability in the Taiwan Strait, Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said.
"A [military] hotline between the Japanese and Chinese defence authorities has been agreed and we aim to launch the operation by the end of next year," Mr Matsuno said.
See how China is converting reefs to military facilities by building artificial islands in the South China Sea.
During the video call, Mr Kishi also expressed concerns about the situation in the East China Sea, including the waters around the Senkaku Islands and problems involving the South China Sea and China's Coastguard Law, Mr Matsuno said.
"Besides that, he also stressed the importance of peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait, and called for an increased transparency of China's defence policies and military power," he added.
Japan hopes tensions between China and Taiwan will be resolved peacefully through dialogue, Mr Kishi said earlier in October, adding that his ministry would keep an eye on the widening military imbalance between Beijing and Taipei.