Former Scout leader told police he let boys watch porn at his house, court hears


Sydney 2000

A former Sydney Scout leader charged with child sex offences admitted to police he watched pornographic videos with young boys at his house, a court has heard.

Key points:

  • Police claim Neale Valentine admitted showing young boys pornographic videos.
  • Mr Valentine was arrested at Sydney Airport on Wednesday
  • Police are investigating several over complaints against Mr Valentine

Neale Valentine, 56, was arrested at Sydney International Airport on Wednesday after an investigation into alleged child abuse in the 1990s.

So far his seven charges relate to the alleged abuse of a 14-year-old boy during NSW and overseas Scout camps, but Central Local Court was today told police are investigating another three or four complainants.

Mr Valentine faces five counts of aggravated sexual assault of a person under 16 and two counts of aggravated indecent assault of a person under 16.

During an application for bail, Mr Valentine’s Legal Aid solicitor argued there was nothing to explain the long period between the alleged offending and when a report was made to police in October 2018.

The police prosecutor, Sergeant Geha, told the court Mr Valentine had made admissions during a police interview.

These included that he had boys over at his St Ives home for “sleepovers” during which they would perform chores such as washing cars and gardening.

“The accused made admissions to supplying the boys with pornographic videos at his residence and watching pornographic videos with the boys,” Sergeant Geha said.

The court heard one of those boys described the experience as “weird”, having never seen such material before.

Mr Valentine was confronted with the allegations by Scouts Australia in 1995 and resigned.

The court heard he told the organisation that boys “possibly slept on the side of a queen size bed”.

When asked about the specific allegations, he repeatedly replied: “I don’t recall the situation.”

Sergeant Geha said the first complainant had a good recollection of the incidents and police were expecting further charges to be laid “in the very near future”.

Mr Valentine watched quietly on a video link from Surry Hills Police Station.

Magistrate Robert Williams denied bail, despite Mr Valentine’s solicitor offering to surrender his passport, live at his parents’ home and report daily to police.

The matter was adjourned to late April.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news